When was our school built, and who was L. E. White?
The first Allegan Junior High School came about in 1958, when the high school moved into a brand new building and the old high school building (built in 1922) became the junior high.
In 1970, it was decided to build a new building specifically for junior high students. The new school, L. E. White Junior High, opened for the 1971-1972 school year. In 1994, freshmen moved to the high school, sixth graders moved to our building, and we became L. E. White Middle School.
Our school was named after Mr. Lawrence E. (Bud) White, a former Allegan Superintendent of Schools and avid proponent of middle level students and their need for a special facility.
Prior to coming to Allegan, Mr. White was a teacher in Rudyard, MI., and Boyne City, MI. He later became a principal, and then Superintendent of Boyne City Public Schools. Mr. White, along with his wife and two children, came to Allegan from Boyne City in 1954. He held the position of Superintendent of Allegan Public Schools from 1954 until his retirement in 1970.
In addition to his contributions to education, Mr. White became quite well known for his wonderful bird carvings. One year, during a trip to Canada, he was introduced to the art of carving birds out of wood and decided to try his own hand at it. Mr. White received numerous awards for his carvings. His bird carvings were popular and became prized as gifts and collectibles.